Dry mouth and tooth decay
A dry mouth is a dangerous mouth. This is because tooth decay can develop faster in a dry mouth. But you can take control and prevent this from happening. Here are some tips:
- Gently brush your teeth after meals.
- Use a high fluoride toothpaste when brushing. This toothpaste will give your teeth extra protection. High fluoride toothpaste can be bought from a pharmacy and some dental clinics, it cannot be bought from the supermarket.
- Clean between your teeth every day. This takes away the food and bacteria that your toothbrush cannot reach. The longer the bacteria sit on your teeth, the more damage it can do.
- Visit your general dentist for a check-up regularly. People with dry mouth may need to visit more often. This helps your dentist to find tooth decay before it gets too bad.
- Avoid sticky, sugary foods and drinks. Sugar feeds the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
If you have quite a dry mouth, please see your doctor or dentist. They can do a check up for you to find the cause and make a plan for you to solve it.