Milk products at the dentist
Products that include milk are being used more often in oral healthcare. These products are used to:
- help stop tooth decay;
- protect teeth from tooth decay; or
- provide extra protection for teeth that are at risk of developing tooth decay.
This can include toothpastes, and dental varnishes. Many of these products will say on the label that they include an ingredient called Recaldent™. This is a mix of casein phosphopeptide – amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP) which is a milk product. Any product that includes Recaldent™, CPP or CPP-ACP is NOT to be used by anyone with a milk allergy.
Products that include milk
Below is a list of dental products that include milk as part of the ingredients. This list does not include all dental products that contain milk. The ingredients of EVERY dental product should be checked EVERY time they are given to someone with a known allergy.
- Chewing gum e.g., Recaldent™ gum
- GC Tooth Mousse®. This can be bought from the dentist’s clinic, supermarkets, pharmacies or online.
- Toothpaste e.g., MI Paste®, MI Paste Plus® and MI Paste ONE
- MI Varnish. This is a type of fluoride treatment used in dental care.
- Fuji VII EP. This is a dental filling material used to fix teeth.
GC Tooth Mousse® also includes a warning that it should not be used on people with a soy allergy.
What if I am lactose intolerant?
Lactose intolerance is not the same as a milk (dairy) allergy.
The sugar in milk is called lactose. When we have milk, the body breaks down this sugar using an enzyme called lactase. People with lactose intolerance do not have enough of the enzyme lactase. This means that their body cannot break down the sugar.
Lactose intolerant people can often have a small amount of milk, especially those in dental treatments. Lactose intolerance does not cause anaphylaxis. The immune system of people with a milk allergy responds to protein/s in milk. For these people, even very small amounts of milk protein can be severe enough to cause anaphylaxis. Do not ever give a dental product that includes milk to someone with a milk allergy.