the Australian Dental Association
Written by the Australian Dental Association, Nov 01, 2021
Fact Checked

The Child Dental Benefits Schedule, often known as the CDBS, was introduced by the Federal Government to assist families in accessing preventive dental care and general dental treatment. The CDBS allows eligible children to access up to $1,026 of general dental treatment at both public and private dental clinics. At most dental clinics, this treatment will be bulk-billed. 

Who is eligible?

Children eligible for the CDBS must be aged from 12 months to 17 years and 364 days. The CDBS is administered by Medicare.

Children are considered eligible if:

  • they are within the applicable age range for at least some of that year,
  • they qualify for Medicare,
  • and you receive either Family Tax Benefit Part A, Parenting payment or Double Orphan Pension payments for at least some of that year.

It is important to confirm that your child is eligible for the CDBS before booking their dental appointment. If your child is eligible and you are booking an appointment, be sure to check that your dental practice provides treatment under the CDBS. Letting the dental practice know that you plan to use the benefit for your child’s treatment helps the dental practice to be prepared for your visit.

Check your eligibility by calling Medicare or through your MyGov account.

What is the benefit?

Eligible children will have access to $1,026 worth of dental treatment over a 2-year period.

This money can be used to cover a range of dental services including examinations, x-rays, cleaning the teeth, fillings, and root canal treatments. The CDBS does not cover orthodontic treatment, or the cost of general anaesthetic care.

If eligible, your dentist will advise you what treatments will be covered by the CDBS.

To know how much of the $1,026 you still have access to use at the dentist, contact Medicare directly or check your MyGov account. The team at the dental clinic providing treatment may be able to assist you in finding out this information. 

Who can provide treatment?

Treatment under the CDBS can be provided by dentists in private dental practices and the Government dental system.

Many dental practices will bulk-bill the treatment. This means that you will not have to pay any money out of your own pocket. 

Find out more

To discover more about this beneficial program, and whether your child is eligible, call Medicare on 132 011 or visit the Department of Human Services website.